The Guild of St. Stephen aims through a three-fold object to sanctify the altar server by:
teaching him that to serve in the sanctuary is a great religious privilege,
instructing him how to observe the rites and ceremonies according to the Church,
encouraging him to understand the significance and purpose of the ceremonies in which he serves.
Many indulgences have been given by St. Pius X for the members of the Guild.
The Guild of St. Stephen was founded in May 1905 at Westminster Cathedral in London, England by Fr. Hamilton MacDonald. A few months later, Pope St. Pius X gave his Apostolic Blessing to the Guild, indulgenced it and raised it to the status of an archconfraternity. In 1934, Pope Pius XI extended the privileges throughout the entire British Empire. In 1955, the Guild adopted Pope St. Pius X as its secondary patron, upon the personal encouragement of Pope Pius XII.
Archbishop Lefebvre after having come in contact with the Guild in 1985 was so impressed by its work that he made special mention of it during the General Chapter of the Society of St. Pius X where he encouraged its implementation in all of the Society’s missions.